24 July 2013

Helston duo Goldsworthy and Young choose Blues over Truro City (Falmouth Packet)

After weeks of uncertainty Helston striker Mark Goldsworthy and midfielder Charlie Young have pledged their futures to the Blues.

The pair turned out for Truro City in recent friendly matches, but speaking to the Packet Goldsworthy said he felt the move to Treyew Road had come at the wrong time, and that his career would be better served by spending more time playing first team football with Helston.

“Obviously being a young lad I get frustrated when I’m not playing, and although I didn’t expect to be playing every week in the Southern League I got the feeling that I was going to be a bit-part player, and I think I’d be pulling my hair out if that was the case,” the 22 year-old said.

“I want to improve, and I think another season at Helston with 90 minutes under my belt every week can only make me better.”

Goldsworthy was at pains to point out that his decision had nothing to do with his treatment at Treyew Road, or his relationship with Truro manager Steve Massey.

“I won’t say anything bad about Truro,” he said, “I got on well with [Steve] Massey, and my decision is nothing against Truro City because the training there was unbelievable, and my experiences against Crewe and Plymouth were amazing, but at this stage I don’t want to be tied into a contract I can’t get out of, then not play very many minutes over the season.”
But since then Young’s time on the pitch has been limited, and he too opted to play first team football with Helston rather than warm the bench at a higher level.
 
Taylor said: “Charlie went over there and trained with them and had a look at the club, but he felt he didn’t get the same chances as other players. He felt there was a lack of communication. He felt he got the least action out of any midfielder and he’s very disappointed.

“But he said he wanted to come back and stamp his authority on midfield and maybe add some goals to his game, and we’re delighted to have him back.”

Meanwhile Liam Eddy’s future at Helston is in doubt, with the striker poised for crunch contract talks with Truro tonight (Weds).

“I would say we’ve probably lost Liam,” said Taylor. “But I’m delighted all three of them have had an opportunity up there. We’re ever so proud, but it shouldn’t have dragged on for this long.

There should have been communication from Massey right from the beginning, but the way they’ve done things, considering they’re the premier club in Cornwall, has been very underhand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment